The survival of trees, whether you're in the Carolinas or any other geographical area, depends on people taking action to protect and preserve them. One way to protect and preserve the trees on your property comes with the use of proper mulching techniques. Mulch can come in various forms, including grass clippings, hardwood bark, hardwood chips, composted leaf litter, animal manure, pine needles, saw dust, shredded leaves, straw, etc.
Below lists some steps to correctly apply mulch:
- Spread mulch under trees, shrubs, and throughout planting beds to a recommended depth of 3-4 inches for medium to coarse textured materials.
- Pull mulch away from the bases of tree and shrub trunks creating a donut-hole Do not pile it up against the trunk (“volcano mulching”). Excessive mulch on the trunk causes moisture to build up, creating ideal conditions for insect pests, diseases, and decay.
- Ideally, the mulched area around a tree should extend to the drip line of the branches, or at least cover a 4-5 foot diameter area around the trunk. The larger the mulched area, the more beneficial.
- Check the mulch depth annually and replenish as necessary.
Do you know the benefits of mulch? Here are a few!
- Provides an insulation layer
- Conserves soil moisture
- Improves the soil’s physical structure and fertility
- Prevents erosion and water runoff
- Reduces root competition
Want to read more? The University of Idaho published a handy mulching guide to help you select the right mulch for you.
Are you in the need of mulch for your yard? Carolina Tree Care provides FREE wood chips for the greater, Charlotte, NC area. Call us today at 704-788-8733. We’d be happy to deliver!